What is ISO Certification 9001
What is ISO Certification 9001 ? What is ISO ? ISO 9001 is a set of standards and requirements specifying requirements specifically relating to Quality.
ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is an independent, non-governmental membership organization and the world’s largest developer of voluntary International Standards.
Besides ISO 9001, there are also many different ISO standards and requirements, popular standards such as : ISO 14001(Environmental Management System), OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series),AS9100 (Aerospace), ISO/TS 16949 (Automotive).
However, ISO 9001 is the most popular and well-known standard from ISO, with more than 1 Million Certifications issued worldwide.
ISO 9001:2008 emphasizes on the process approach and the PDCA (Plan-Do-Check Act). Checking the requirements and input, then putting these into the activity, which results in the output (customer satisfaction and fulfillment to requirements).
Attaining ISO 9001 Certification demonstrates the organization’s ability to quality assurance and quality control.
- Started/Born in 1987, around 29 years old
- To provide confidence to customers of an organization.
- That organization understands who the customers are, what they want, and can consistently provide product/service that meets those customer’s needs and expectations
- To get what they(customers) are expecting and satisfied with performance of supplier
- To provide a consistent and conforming product to them
- To provide confidence to an organization’s customers
- Organizations benefits(secondary benefits)
- Improved general communications (breaking down barriers between different departments)
- Understand processes better
- Reduce waste
- Better efficiency
- Benefits of ISO 9001
- Gain access to new markets
- Differentiates an organization from others in the marketplace
- Provide a competitive advantage
- Demonstrates organization’s commitment to maintain its quality processes through successful surveillance audits
The current ISO 9001 standard/revision is ISO 9001:2008.
The current ISO 9001 standard is subject to revisions every 6-8 years. The new ISO 9001:2015 standard has been released on September 2015.
All organizations have 3 years to transit to the new ISO 9001:2015 Standard, by Sept 2018.